Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Happy 2013! Wow. Been a long time since we rocked and rolled! As anyone who works full-time, is enrolled full-time in a doctorate program, is a homeowner, and is raising a rambunctious toddler can attest to, free time is not something so easy to come by these days! Thus, the exceptionally long hiatus. However, it is my goal to at least try to post monthly to UdoUmami and to possibly streamline this blog into one thing or another, lol. :) Stay tuned for more...
Wrapped in polka dot tissüe paper by Udo Umami on Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Thursday, December 01, 2011
Friday, September 16, 2011
Sunday, September 04, 2011
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Used ziti for the mac and for the cheese- a simple homemade alfredo sauce with whatever I had on hand.
-dazzle of olive oil
-pat of butter
-sprinkle of minced garlic
-sprinkle of salt and black pepper
-about 1/2 cup of sour cream
-about 1/4 cup of flour
-about 1 cup of milk
-about 1/2 cup of parmesean cheese
-about 2 cups of shredded mozzerella
-about 3 tablespoons of Italian bread crumbs
- Cook the pasta (any short kind that you'd like... macaroni or ziti or elbows or bowties, etc.
- Oil and butter go in a hot pan with the minced garlic until it's tender.
- Whisk in the flour until you make a 'rue' (a paste of goody yummy)
- Add the sour cream and mix with wooden spoon
- Add the milk. The mixture will be lumpy. No worries
- Add the Parmesan cheese- again lump city - no big whoop
- Sprinkle in the Italian style bread crumbs and stir. Add to taste.
- Add the mozzarella cheese- stretchy and gooey like glue... but let it boil....
- Add some pasta water to this mixture to thin it out if necessary.
- Let it boil some and keep stirring with wooden spoon. It won't be lumpy or stretchy - just delicious.
- Toss with pasta in a bowl and serve with warm cornbread muffins on the side that are slathered with creamy country fresh butter and (if you are not pregnant and ready to pop) an ice cold bewah. Enjoy~ XOXO <3 Udo
Wrapped in polka dot tissüe paper by Udo Umami on Saturday, August 27, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Wrapped in polka dot tissüe paper by Udo Umami on Saturday, August 20, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
Sunday, August 14, 2011
salad is pretty much the bees knees!!
After the butterfly house we made our way to the blueberry festival. So cute and fun! I've never met nicer people than farmers. What a darling family!!! Of course they all got a kick out of the fact that I am 8 months pregnant and had no qualms about hopping on a hayride to the blueberry patch to pick some berries with my Huckleberry Finn. Off we went! Bumpy road but baby loved it! We took a farm tour and saw the free range chickens (that looked healthy, fluffy, white as snow, and absolutely DELICIOUS) and the free range sows and pigs (mmm surprisingly they were a little frightening to me with all that grunting and mulling about... I couldn't help but have LOST flashbacks anticipating Sawyer or Locke coming out of the bushes with a shiv to capture their dinner) and then off to pick some blueberries!
We did pretty well for ourselves! (One for me, one for the bucket, one for me, one for the bucket) and picked up some Buckwheat honey (rich in Iron!) and headed off to home.
This morning I decided to make some blueberry cornmeal muffins! Now I can't begin to tell you of the challenges one faces with making baked goods sans an electric mixer. :\ It'll be quite some time before I'm able to save up for one of those fancy beautiful doo-dads - so in the meantime, every baking recipe I have is made by hand with a wooden spoon! At least my bi's and tri's are getting a workout!
Here's the recipe link I used from good ol' Martha May. They are baking in the oven as we speak... Can't wait to smear a lashing of country fresh cream butter on one and gobble it up! XOXO <3 Udo
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Ya, I should have gotten me arse to the store for a shopping but with the heat and humidity and me being 8 months pregnant with our very active child, I kept putting it off. Something to do with feeling wiped out and having feet that hurt and not getting a good night's rest in the past several weeks... I dunno. ::snickers::
So yes, here we have an AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS and wonderful zuchinni muffin recipe that I threw together - except the extra fun part is this is a poor girl's special! I googled substitutes for nearly everything I would have needed to make this right... well not nearly everything- but most of things we were out of...
No milk- no problem - don't need any!
No eggs- no problem - I googled egg substitute and found out I could use those two over ripe bananas for 2 eggs. I also found out I could substitute 2 tablespoons of corn starch per egg... so that's what I did! Instead of using 4 eggs for this recipe I used 2 bananas and 4 tablespoons of cornstarch. Eggs = done.
No brown sugar - no big whoop- I used a cup of white sugar with my dry stuff and added two tablespoons of molasses to the wet stuff = brown sugar. Done!
No vegeteable oil- nobody cares - I used a cup of olive oil and a half cup of canola oil - good as new. Oil = done!
I was also out of Crisco and Pam (either of which I would have used to grease my muffin tin) So I took a stick of butter wrapped in butter paper and smeared that around the tin to grease it up. Bingo. It worked!
- 3 cups sprouted flour (or plain if you have it)
- 2 cups brown sugar (or make your own like I did)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Cinnamon to taste ( a few sprinkles maybe a table spoon?)
- 4 eggs (or substitute like I did)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- Splash o vanilla extract
- 3 zuchinnis grated by hand or in processor whatever works for you
- lots of raisins (a cup or so)
- some walnuts (a half cup or whatever you want)
To really sweeten the deal - I made a crumble topping from 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 sugar, 1 stick of butter cubed and food processor the whole thing until you get a crumble. Spoon on top of muffins before baking. Delish! Oh and yes- they are the magical muffin to get you going in the morning- Here we go go go!
XOXO <3 Udo
Wrapped in polka dot tissüe paper by Udo Umami on Thursday, August 04, 2011